Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Knit Workshop

I'm currently 2 days into my first official time tabled week at Winchester School of Art after a messy freshers week. In our first knit workshop we covered knitting machine basics, including: threading up, colour changing, laddering, lace holes and moving stitches around. I'm a big knit fan, it's so hands on theres something more satisfying about creating your own fabrics.

Up cycling
In our second workshop we were asked to bring in an old knitted jumper to up cycle. It was a bit daunting just hacking into something with no planning but so fun. I used laddering and fraying to create texture as well as added a laddered piece I made on the knitting machine in a contrasting colour. I also added pieces I had finger knitted in thick and fancy yarns. 


My original jumper




My final piece inspired by the theme Russian Culture

My tutor described it as 'very Alexander McQueen' can't complain about that comment. 




No comments:

Post a Comment